This section is designed to answer questions for those visiting with us, whether you are a local or someone who is enjoying a vacation at the beach. This page will always be under construction as we try to answer questions raised to us by those in search of a place to worship. As such, you may want to check back on occasion to see if anything new has been added.
What style of music do you use in worship?
As a “Church of Christ,” we exclusively use acapella congregational singing in our worship to the Lord. However, we use short projected videos on occasion to assist in the message of the day. In some of these videos, there may be instrumental background music.
Are there gender roles in the worship service?
Our 9:00 am worship service follows the traditional Church of Christ, an all-male leadership model.
Our 10:30 am service, and our online service utilizes a Praise Team approach to song leadership. This consists of 5 individuals, male and female, singing the four parts of harmony and one male leader singing the melody line. The men of the congregation do all other leadership.
Do you celebrate holidays such as Christmas or Easter?
In our worship service, we do not do anything special for holidays beyond tailoring the song service and message of the morning in a way that recognizes the spirit or meaning of the holiday. We provide fun activities for the congregation’s children outside the worship service, including “Breakfast with Santa,” an Easter Egg/Candy hunt, “Trunk or Treat,” etc.
How are you governed?
The Church of Christ is a non-denominational church structure, as was the earliest form of Christ’s church. As such, each congregation is self-governed on all matters. Although there are many Churches of Christ, there is no governing relationship between them. The only guide used by the leadership of each congregation is the Bible. Each community is under the spiritual care and direction of its eldership. Deacons are a group of servants under the eldership’s leadership who take care of day-to-day activities in the church.
Please use one of these services to make your regular donation to church:
- VENMO – Open a VENMO account, find the church name (“grandstrand-churchofchrist”) and submit your donation. Make sure you change the payment from Public to Private.
- Facebook – On our church group page, using a browser, not a phone or tablet app, you will see a donate button just under the church picture on the right side of your screen. Click on it, and it will take you to a payment page.
- Online Banking – Go to your bank’s online banking site and enter the church as one of your payee accounts. Then make your payment using the website’s instructions.
- Checks – mail in a personal check to the church address. 2212 Glenns Bay Road, Surfside Beach, SC 29575
- Cash – if cash is the only way for you, please drop it by the church when Jay is there. Call ahead to ensure he is there, or call Crystal Lemmons for other instructions.